21 June 2010

Refuse

I've looked at this same door for at least once a week, every week for the past three years or so. It's meant nothing to me except for what it says right on the tin - a shed where all the garbage (or refuse) is accumulated until the bi-weekly collection.




Nothing special about the place really. Like any other similar places, it can really stink on warm and humid days, especially towards the weekend when the garbage bags pile up. At some stage during the shed's life, the management company decided to reduce the unpleasant smells by planting a rosemary plant right beside the entrance but really, did they seriously think that the rosemary would help?


Anyway, like I said, there's nothing to the place. Just a refuse shed with a door that clearly says Refuse (just in case some less intelligent being decided to sleep there instead). Or so I thought, until last week, that is.

A friend of mine from back home was visiting recently and for some odd reason, as I was about to put out the garbage, he decided to take the short walk with me down to the refuse shed. As we approached the door, I could see him holding back a smile. Curious as to why a seemingly sane person would get even a tiny bit of delight from what basically was a room full of garbage, I asked him the obvious question.

He pointed at the sign on the door and chuckled.



Sepultura, bro. You know, Refuse...Resist?

He looked at me as if my head had tilted sideways and another one was about to pop out. I got what he was saying straight away, of course. Sepultura and Max Cavalera's later incarnations would be listed as one of my favourites so, I found it suprising that I didn't connect the two together all this while.

The picture above is from the cover of the band's 12" vinyl release of Refuse/Resist. They say a picture tells a thousand words. Well, I think this picture is the definition of just those two words. Absolute class.

On a different note, today's meant to be the longest day on the calendar - the summer solstice. Could never tell the difference though. All it means to me is that it's like the beginning of the end for all this brilliant weather we've had recently...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...