26 December 2010

Another Postponed Date

Like most nights, I had the telly on that evening but wasn't paying too much attention to it as I was surfing the net at the same time. After awhile, something on the telly caught my attention. The news was on and I had gathered that the topic of discussion was this horrible weather that we were facing in Ireland, the UK as well as most of Western Europe. There was nothing new in terms of what was being reported but then the camera was focused on a single person, a Russian Embassy official and he was probably standing on the snow-covered lawn of the Russian Embassy in Dublin.


You see, we in Russia are used to winter temperatures of between minus 10 and minus 30 on a regular basis. Roads are chemically-treated and cleared of snow on a daily basis. Our airports remain open while schools are only closed when the temperature dips below minus 25. So, as you can see, the weather that you are facing now is actually quite comfortable for us...


The man said it all with a smug smile on his face as if to mock us all here for our constant whining and our continuous complaining about the mild weather. He was right though. Three horrible winters should be enough notice for the powers-that-be to cop on and learn from their Russian (and Finnish) counterparts who seem to be coping just fine.


Once the basics are out of the way, then maybe something can be done about match day preparations as well. Today's postponement of the Blackpool game was the second in just over a week following the re-scheduling of the Fulham game.


I don't know whether this is the norm but thankfully, it seems that my friends and I won't be losing out too much on our recent Irish Sea cruise. If all goes well, I'd still be getting the same trip for a nominal charge of around €20 to €30. Not too bad I suppose. The only bad thing about it is that the game itself is on, smack-bang in the middle of the week, in the middle of the busiest month of my working calendar.


Hopefully, I'll have better luck this time. Oh, and happy holidays and have a good New Year.










No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...